Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in Tirana, Albania, is looking for qualified and highly motivated candidates interested to apply for the following position:
Organizational Unit: UNHCR Country Office, Tirana/Protection Unit
Duty station: Tirana, Albania
Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment
Job type: Standard
Job Title: Senior Protection Assistant
Duration: Seven months
Expected start date: April 1st, 2020
Application deadline: March 17th, 2020, 17:00
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Protection Assistant reports to a more senior protection staff member. The incumbent monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support.The Senior Protection Assistant will work specifically for the UN Joint Acceleration Fund Project on Mixed Migration Management at the border with the following main focus:
The Senior Protection Assistant will work specifically for the UN Joint Acceleration Fund Project on Mixed Migration Management at the border with the following main focus:
- establish effective referral mechanisms and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) relating to identification and case management of vulnerable individuals;
- train on respective procedures and mechanisms provided to Border and Migration Police, as well as to local government stakeholders (service providers) in the two main entry border areas of Korca and Gjirokastra regions. To ensure sustainability, these trainings will be followed up by
- technical support; and
- distribution of toolkits and manuals.
- Coordinate the implementation of activities under Special UN Acceleration Fund Project on Management of Mixed Migration flows at the borders.
- Follow up the implementation of establishment of SOPs and referral mechanisms on pre-screening instructions.
- Liaise with a Consultant on the development of SOPs and training manuals under UN Acceleration Fund Project, and on the provision of training on procedures and mechanisms.
- Coordinate with the other UN Agencies implementing the project for SOPs and referral mechanisms, training and training materials for the vulnerable groups (including unaccompanied or separated children, women and girls at heightened risk, victims of human trafficking, persons with specific health needs. etc.)
- Draft reports, routine correspondence, update relevant databases and compiling statistics within the Area of Responsibility (AoR).
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Support activities in protection related Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Monitor SOPs for all protection/solutions activities.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 – 5 years relevant experience with High school diploma
Relevant Job Experience
Essential: 5 years of working experience in the area of social, AGD or vulnerable case management, access to rights of vulnerable categories.
– Computer Literacy
– Protection & Solutions Awareness
– Protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators
– Refugee Protection Principles and Framework